Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What Does It Mean To Be A Secretary?



noun, plural sec·re·tar·ies.
1.
a person, usually an official, who is in charge of the records,correspondence, minutes of meetings, and related affairs ofan organizationcompany, association, etc.: the secretary ofthe Linguistic Society of America.
2.
a person employed to handle correspondence and do routinework in a business office, usually involving taking dictation,typing, filing, and the like.
4.
often initial capital letter an officer of state charged withthe superintendence and management of a particulardepartment of government, as a member of the president'scabinet in the U.S.: Secretary of the Treasury.
5.
Also called diplomatic secretary. a diplomatic official of anembassy or legation who ranks below a counselor and isusually assigned as first secretary, second secretary, orthird secretary.
Origin: 
1350–1400; Middle English secretarie  one trusted with private orsecret matters; confidant < Medieval Latin sēcrētārius  < Latinsēcrēt um secret  (noun) + -ārius -ary

You can see that there is a lot that is described with the one word "secretary".  I know most people enjoy "administrative assistant", but I don't.  I think the word "secretary" far better describes what we do.  

When Paul describes himself as "an ambassador in chains" in Ephesians 6:20, the word for ambassador is the same word for secretary. 

You see, we too, are ambassadors for Christ, as well as for our churches.  I don't think there is ever a time that we do not represent our church.  I don't know about you- but I know I am on 24/7 every minute, every hour, every year.  I may not be behind my desk, but I am always a representative.

Being a church secretary is different from being an administrative assistant, although we do that work, too.  We are in charge of those things listed in definitions 1 & 2.  However, there is so much more! 

We communicate for the pastors, elders, and ministry leaders to the congregation, and vice versa.  We are the face to the corporate world, and we are the face to every person who comes to our office looking for Christ.  

We represent Him and our church when we are out purchasing items for the church, at any event, in traffic, at the post office, or where ever we might find ourselves.  

I particularly like the original meaning of the word--that is a major part of the call.  We know the tears behind those Sunday morning smiles, we know that our blessed bosses are indeed human, and we bear these burdens silently with Christ. 

Our job is never the routine office work, although that must get done too!  We find ourselves baby sitters, counselors, givers of benevolence, a shoulder to cry on, a sister (or brother) to rejoice with, a concordance, spiritual adviser, toilet cleaner, prayer partner, teacher, pupil..well,  you get the picture.  

And no one but you and the Lord are aware of so much of it. We are behind the scenes people.  They see the bulletins, whether the church is cleaned, the food pantry stocked, and if their name is spelled correctly in the directory. Your pastors may see more, but they are often busy in their calling.  And your job is to assist them, so why bother them with details? 

When I arrive and start the coffee, I never know what the day will bring.  I don't know what time I will get to leave, and I don't know what will get crossed off on my list.  I do know that I serve the Most High God who is creative, merciful, exciting, and interested in changing lives to make them more like Him!  Starting with me! 

That is why I say our job is a "calling."  I get paid to communicate--the bulletin, phone calls, emails, and publications are what my salary is for.  But the real work, the people that come in or call, that is what He has called me to service. 

Who will He bring in today?  Who will call?  What email?  What will He do?  I only know that I get a front row seat!  My friend teases me by saying she is going to buy a seat belt for my chair. 

Daunting?  YES!  But I wouldn't trade it for anything.  That is why I am starting this blog.  Well, after much prayer and feeling His push for it. Not because I have any great wisdom or ideas, but I wonder how you are doing in your ministry?  Can I encourage you?  Can I share tips that He has taught me? I'm sure you have much to offer to me as well!  


I pray this will bless all of us. I 

No comments:

Post a Comment